Thursday, June 30, 2005

Our out of control technological age

Today I received a forwarded article from a friend discussing the topic of downloading songs onto cell phones. To be honest, I'm usually a proponent of new technology. I like how technology has helped us to enhance communications with one another, and get us information at a faster rate. But as usual society continues to take things as far as they can go, even if it borders on the stupid. Having a cell phone is a nice luxury. Some would say that it our current day, it is a necessity. No way. Unless you have a job that requires you to travel often, you'r not going to suffer without one. I mean, think back 20 years ago (if you can). We weren't using mobile phones. People were happy, things were getting done. It all worked. So now the cell phone comes along and enhances communication and adds to our luxurious lifestyle as Americans. So now what? Let's add video games, streaming tv shows, music downloads, and e-mail and Instant Messenger to the phone because God-forbid that we would actually use it to CALL somebody. Who has the kind of life where they need a phone to watch the next batman movie trailer? Seriously. The fat, spoiled american thinks, "Man, it would be so great if I could cram every sort of entertainment media onto my cell phone so that I can go anywhere in the world and block out any sort of human interaction. Where's the line?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AL, I really want to comment but I have nothing to say.