Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Apple Purism and the MacIntel debate

So it now has been revealed what people were waiting for for a long time: Mac budges into the direction that many Mac purists hoped that he would never go: Towards Intel. I'm actually kind of happy for this change. Not that I know enough about Macs to evaluate the situation on an equal level of both a Mac and a PC fan, but at least I can see that this will open up plenty more possibilities for the future of Apple. I don't own a Mac, nor do I intend to in the near future, but I like the idea of Mac moving onto a platform that makes it able to compete closer with other x86 pc makers. What I find most interesting is how Steve Jobs had this planned out for a while by enabling the OSX operating system to ALREADY be compatible with x86 architecture. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that Mac should change its hardware platform entirely. The world always needs an alternative to the Microsoft-dominated PC. But the possibility of producing a Mac that is competitive on a price level with a similar pc would be nice as well. Perhaps Intel can help Mac with this.

No comments: