Friday, November 30, 2007

Apple Seems to be Leveling the Playing Field



So here we are after several day switching to the Mac, and the experience has been nothing but bothersome. What!??? How can that be? According to the "cult of Mac" and the Apple website, Macs "just work". Yeah, whatever. Here's how things have been "just working" for me over the past few days:

1. My wife has not once been able to print. I've been able to print only one time, after spending 30 minutes trying to find a driver that was actually remotely compatible with my printer (since HP doesn't make a specific Mac driver for my printer). Even so, I'm still hearing the echoes of confident Mac enthusiasts and commercials which state that all you need to do is plug it in, and it works. Maybe on their planet it does.

2. I actually found a way to accidentally delete an app without moving it to the trash. How did I do that? Well, I wanted to drag it from the app folder to my dock. Doing so, it landed in the wrong place on the dock. So I attempted to drag it to another location on the dock, only to have it dissapear in a cloud. I couldn't find it elsewhere. I even did a spotlight search for it, which yielded absolutely no results. Yep, that's right its gone. So now I need to pull it from my install disk to use it again.

3. I have yet still to be able to view pages properly on both firefox or safari. Both my wife and I are having problems viewing images, which do not show up randomly on certain sites. I've checked all the necessary settings in both browsers, and nothing has worked. The photos show up randomly on our google blogs, and any google related site where there are pictures. However this morning, I wasn't even able to view photos on Flickr.

My hunch is that these problems might be somewhat related to the new Operating System OSX Leopard. So much so, that I'm going to revert back to Tiger. If rolling back to the former OS does nothing, then perhaps Mr. Warfel will be able to see the first ever pictures of a "re-boxing" of the Mac Mini as I ship this baby back to Apple and get myself a Dell. Stupid FedEx.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Argh, when will FedEx learn!?