Monday, November 19, 2007

Safari Redemption and other Browser thoughts


Recently I've been surveying the whole gambit of alternative web browsers, in an effort to see if any of the competition (besides IE and Firefox) has been doing any improvements since my last survey. Here is what I've found:

  Opera 9 just doesn't get it. They pack a ton of features, they've slimmed down their browser's default settings so that you are not bombarded with stuff, but they still run into the same site incompatibilities that they've always had with sites. Their only benefit is the speed of their browser, but fractions of a second in browsing are not an equal trade to so many site compatibility issues.


Maxthon 2, a clone to IE seemed like a viable alternative. It comes with every feature under the sun for browsing, and most of them are way too overkill. Without getting too detailed on the features, let's just say that I use a browser to surf the web and too many bells and whistles just takes up space and gets in the way. Needless to say, compatibility is great, since they run on the IE7 engine. However, before I could declare anything good, I got into a situation where I had a random error which opened up hundreds of empty tabs and gobbled up 765 MB  of system memory with no remedy to fix it (other than killing the active task). This is a major no-no for me. If its not a beta, then somebody  needs to fix their junk.


Earlier in the year, I gave a look to Apple's new release of Safari. At the time, I found it pretty decent, but had some site compatibility issues that I couldn't get around so easily. Thankfully, I found that Apple has been working on them and I found very few sites that gave me problems. The speed is rivaling of Opera, which lends it to be a better alternative. In fact, I'm writing this post on Safari for windows right now. Its doing a fine job, but I'll continue to test it throughout the week to see if I'm convinced. 

Overall, I think that Safari has the advantage for anyone considering looking for something that is not IE or Firefox. I still hesitate to give it any advantage over Firefox, when you consider the expandability of Firefox. However, some people don't have time to tinker with add-ons and such. If that is the case, you may want Safari.

No comments: