Monday, December 03, 2007

Forward Progress

Well, after experiencing such a huge letdown with printer incompatibilities, weird internet issues, and stupid user mistakes, I'm starting to settle down with this computer. Here are some further thoughts as of today:

1. After discovering that HP didn't make a Mac version of their driver for my computer, I found that there was a work-around on the web for downloading an older HP driver for a Mac-specific printer that did the job. It was quite a hassle to get working, but now it seems to work fine (albeit, quite slow). I guess that it was disappointing to learn that I couldn't just "plug and play" like I did for windows xp with this thing.

2. The weird internet slowness issues are seeming to subside for now. After doing some further research, I found that some people had trouble with their Macs on the internet because of older routers, etc. So, after plugging my Mac directly into the cable modem, things are now zipping along. So that makes two things that I own that didn't work well with the Mac. This does not impress me. Old hardware or not, Macs are supposed to be easy. If I weren't a geek, I'd be surfing on a PC by now, since I wouldn't have the patience to deal with this stuff.

3. I'm quite impressed at how quickly the Mac mini actually reboots. I've never owned a windows machine that booted like this. Its nice.

4. As much as I never used to like iTunes, I feel like I'm warming up to it. Overall, I'm not that all impressed with Apple's way of designing applications. I don't find that there are controls which would be intuitive for me. Most things are symbols and aren't even labeled (particularly in iTunes).

5. Stupid FedEx.

6. One of my favorite online utilities, Logmein.com works great with OSX, which now allows me to support our school servers from home (a HUGE plus).

Well, these are the extent of my thoughts for now. The hiccups have caused enough angst to keep me from posting photos of the "unboxing" (sorry, Dave).

No comments: