Tuesday, April 26, 2005

My New Job so far

With two days down, I'm really starting to like my new job. I'm learning tons (Except the 100 pin numbers and passwords I have), and the people are very friendly. My department deals with support for 3 major education applications which are used in school districts in 12 states. We've just got word that 3 new states may be added, which means tons of work for me. Very cool!

My new job also gave me a new IBM Thinkpad laptop computer. This is my only computer for work. Basically, I have to take it home with me too, so it kind of "lives" with me now. It has built-in wireless, so I am able to log into my wireless network at home. They aparently give all employees in our division a laptop because so many of the employees are sales reps and service reps, and that means they are required to do a lot of traveling. Makes sense, I guess.

The commute for the job is longer. I now commute about 50 minutes one way to work. It doesn't really seem as long as my previous commute, which was 25 minutes one way. I guess because my previous commute forces me to hit every stop sign and light on my route, where my new job is pretty much all highway. The killer is the mileage. Old Job = 10 miles. New Job= 32 miles. Total Miles per week for old job = 100 miles total miles per week for new job = 320...yikes!!! The good news is that they are putting an office in Lancaster here, so I will be able to work out of that office a day or two a week, when I eventually get accustomed to my new position. The Lancaster office is only 2 miles from my house...nice!

No comments: