Tuesday, May 03, 2005

PenDOT woes

I drive 35 miles one way to work. Sure it sounds like a long trip, but its not too bad. Its pretty much 95% highway travel, which makes it seem quick. However I have some issues with my route. Route 222 goes north and south between Lancaster and Reading. Right now there is existing construction on that route in Reading where they are building a new highway to support more lanes back and forth. Each time I travel out there, for about 10 miles there is construction which brings traffice down to one lane going each way. It slows things down, but what is encouraging is how much you can see getting done. There are tons of workers and a lot of highway and bridges being built. BUT. There is also construction that just began at the beginning of 222 on my route. This construction makes no sense. They've been cutting giant square slabs out of the road and are doing this for about 7 miles of road. Why? I have no clue. All that I know is that when I go to work at 7am each morning I never see anybody working. And when I come home from work I still don't see anybody working. What's the deal!!!! I mean, they leave all of their equipment and vehicles on the side of the road, they block off a whole lane which slows down all of the traffic, but the workers just don't show up? Maybe they are all up at the Reading end working? All I know is that thanks to this new construction where nobody works, my commute just grew by 15 minutes. Stupid PenDOT.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They did the same construction a few years ago. They are cutting out bad sections of road and replacing them with new ones. It was just really bad then, especially when it gets hot and everyone's bothered and road-raging. After they are done, the road is a little better, so it will probably be worth all the hassle. Just kidding :)

Anonymous said...

Freaking PENNDOT! No working slob, goverment employees. I feel your pain dude. It's like "the man" is trying to keep us down. "The Man" never gives us a shot. He's always blocking the lanes and leaving his equipment in our way. They call it progress. I call it pain in the ass. I recommend fighting for your rites! Dude, you know what to do... drive in the median.