Monday, January 10, 2005

My Monday Morning Rant

So, it seems that there will be a rematch for the Steelers with the Jets for a ticket to the AFC Championship game. This sort of makes me a little nervous. Not that I think the Jets are a better team, but because it seems that lately, the Steelers like to just barely sqeak by and win games. This always leaves doubt in my head about the surety of their future. If only they would dominate like the Colts do. Speaking of which, if the Steelers don't make it to the Super Bowl, I'm certainly rooting for the Colts, since they will definately serve up a more fascinating game to watch.

I enjoyed a birthday this weekend. Turned 28 years old. Hard to imagine that I've seen 28 years of life. I look at my daughter each day, and think of how things in the world were so much different when I was her age. To think of all of the events of my generation, and how much has taken place in the world is amazing. I can't even imagine what the world will be like 28 years from now. To think that my daughter will never know a world without Cell Phones, the Internet, hybrid cars, and a Pre-September 11th time of security here in this country.

Lastly, I noticed that people continue to ask me if I "still" like my job as a programmer. The answer is an emphatic "YES!". I guess that when you hear about people switching careers you find it curious to see what their take on it is. Now I would have to admit that I do miss teaching to some degree, but I certainly enjoy my new job very much. I work with a great group of people. The problem is that Computer Programming is harder to talk about than teaching. Most people can relate in one way or another to teaching, since we've all been students at one time or another. Most of us, however, can't really perceive the job of a computer programmer. This makes it hard to talk about. So if you don't hear me talking about my job as much as I used to, its just because its just weird to strike up a conversation with "I wrote the coolest function today to parse words from this input box". Trust me, you don't want to hear about it. :-)


No comments: