Tuesday, January 29, 2008

CMOS or CCD? Which is King?


(Nerdy photography technical topic alert! Please skip this post if you don't care about this stuff)


I find it curious to know whether or not it is valuable to go to CMOS over CCD. I've not really gotten a clear message from previous sources on what is the best technology for the digital image. However, I think that the following article does a good job of shedding some light on the subject. Read on if you're curious:

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9860021-39.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy photography, but I don't know the difference. My point-and-shoot has a CCD and my SLR has a CMOS sensor (both Canon). I like and use my SLR more, but I think that is a result of more flexibility, better lenses, and many other factors besides the sensor. It's an "apples to oranges" comparison in my case.

Do you have any first-hand experience using similar cameras with different sensor types?

Al Jurina said...

Actually, most point-and-shoot cameras have CCD sensors which are about the size of your pinky finger nail. This small sensor usually results in high noise at ISO settings above 400, and also a reduction of image quality and increase in noise in low-light situations. Ironically, some of the P&S cameras do indeed have very good quality lenses which are very fast, however most of them cannot overcome the small sensor issues.

Yes, the CMOS vs CCD is really not much of a competitive issue right now, but its interesting to notice that there are no Digital SLR's on the market with the live view feature using a CCD (at least, to my knowledge).

Anonymous said...

Nice, thanks for the additional details!