Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My side job as an Apple Evangelist





Well, I wouldn't exactly say I'm and evangelist, I guess. However, I've already given 3 recommendations to people to buy a Mac when they asked my advice on getting another computer. One person actually took my advice and came walking into work two days later with a new MacBook and a big smile on their face. Fast-forward one week and the smile is still there and she's pushing her own evangelism for Steve Jobs around the place.

Despite our family's switch to a Mac about 2 months ago, I can't say that I've been blown away by the system. It pretty much does the same thing that my PC did. Other than not worrying about viruses anymore, which wasn't a huge concern anyways, I'd have to say that the adjustment to our computing life might even be a bit more annoying than when we were with our PC. The new computing platform requires learning how to do similar things somewhat differently.

So why have I been recommending Macs? I think that its the confidence in their reliability and the fact that most people with limited computer knowledge will find them a bit less daunting to use. These days, Macs can do most anything a PC can, without the issues of antivirus software, spyware, and hardware compatibility issues (unless you have my luck). Another reason that I now recommend a Mac is because I have one, and am feeling a bit more confident about answering questions about them.

This doesn't mean that I've given up on the PC. I actually still think that people with a tad more experience using PC's should stick with it if they've got a lot of software commitments to Microsoft, or if they don't want the restricted hardware options and prices that Apple offers.

No comments: