Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Shut it off!!!

I was reading an interesting article discussing The PCTurnoff initiative which is being promoted for the week of August 1st through 7th. The plan is to keep kids from spending their entire summer in front of a computer screen and promoting them to do something most kids don't do much these days: Play. The site leads to a few articles and facts of interest on the benefits of play.
This article discusses the benefits and rewards of play for children. I totally agree with this. As a child, I remember spending a lot of time playing with my friends and my brothers in our neighborhood. Exploring woods, playing football, baseball, climbing trees, etc. Those are things that I remember and wouldn't trade for anything. Some of our kids today will be spending most of their adult lives in a cubicle in front of a computer screen. Why start them early? Why create a social and interactive culture that grows only via the internet? Get em' out there! Let them play? Un-plug that computer!!!

No comments: