Friday, May 27, 2005

Not that anybody really reads this but...

I would like to clarify that I in no way think that if you are what I would call a "nerdy" Star Wars fan that there is something wrong with you. I see no problem with liking Star Wars enough to enjoy it as a hobby. I DO see a problem when you convert your whole lifestyle into trying to manipulate the force and role-play your own Star Wars universe on a daily basis.

Today I get to work out of the Lancaster, PA office. This is a good thing because it cuts my commute down about 32 miles each way. The Lancaster office resides in a huge building in the center of the city on the fifth floor. I don't know any of the people that work here, and none of them do anything that is related to what I do in my department. Therefore, I'm kind of working independently here. I don't mind that, because it challenges me to think harder about solutions since I have less help surrounding me. Which brings me to another topic...

...thanks to the inventions of instant messaging and e-mail, work productivity is all more efficient in this type of environment. I can instantly communicate via IM with all of my coworkers on any given day about topics. We can send files to each other via e-mail or through our network. Even if we are 35 miles away. This is something that would have been impossible 20 years ago for most people. I sometimes marvel at how wonderful it is that we have these tools to communicate these days. This kind of thing probably sounded science-fiction when I was a kid. I also can keep great communication with family and friends with e-mail and instant messaging no matter how far away we are. Not that this should ever replace a decent phone call, but it sure is nice to be able to have these options available.

Enjoy your Memorial day weekend everyone. Let's all take a moment this weekend to stop and remember those who gave their lives on the battelfield for our freedom. Its sometimes amazing to think of the amount of courage and bravery people have had for the love of their country and its honor. To all of the soldiers who did this....Thank you.

No comments: