Sunday, December 09, 2007

Realism and the Pittsburgh Steelers

I like to consider myself a "realistic" football fan. Of course, I always want my team to win, and I always stand behind them. However, when it comes to haughtiness and bragging, there's usually nowhere to stand. Take this season, for example: The Steelers are 9-3 for the season. The media and the Steelers themselves are taking this to actually believe that the Pittsburgh Steelers actually belong in the same rankings as New England possibly Indianapolis. I'm sorry, but they are nowhere near the powerhouse that the Patriots are.

First off, their record has several flaws to it. One of those has to do with last year's pathetic post-superbowl season. Coming out of a superbowl that they barely won, the Steelers went on to disappoint with a lousy 8-8 season that didn't even get them a playoff game. The NFL naturally adjusts the schedule in the coming season to accommodate the "weaker" teams in the league. This year, the Steelers have been given a fluffy schedule against many other weaker teams (with maybe New England being an exception). Let's not forget that the Steelers have 3 losses against teams that barely have a chance at the playoffs this year. And in last weeks's game against the Bengals, Big Ben had issues throwing the ball because it was wet? Are you kidding me? Do they not practice in the rain? Somebody tell me how a professional QB in the NFL can't throw in the rain. Particularly when their team's home field isn't in a dome?

Now I've been reading reports all week at how the Steelers claim that they are going to upset the unbeaten Patriots and I can't help but laugh. Have they not reviewed their own past 3 games? Somebody needs to show them the tape, because if they play anything like they have been playing the past 3 weeks, then this game will be over by half-time.

And if the Steelers win? Well, good for them. However, its a lot easier to enjoy my team when they humble themselves and step down to reality, than when they start guaranteeing victories against teams that, at least this season, have it together way better than they do.

No comments: