Monday, November 15, 2004

Thanksgiving Dinners

For some reason, I find it hard to really enjoy thanksgiving. Maybe it is because I feel like a glutton. Spending several months of my life living with families in poverty in Central America, I'm pretty aware of how good we have it in this country. This is not to say that I'm at all ungrateful for what I have, but it seems to spark something in me when I look to survey the tons of food that is before me in different varieties. Its the sting of reality for the tons of families who have never seen this much food in their lives and never will. Something I think that we should all do is match our thankfullness against the reality of what other families don't have. Many of us have plenty to be thankful for, but the American culture that we live in sometimes just doesn't get it. Thanksgiving for some is just a tradition of being a glutton, and less of true appreciation for the grace that God has given us.

No comments: