Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Some musings on Internet Explorer development

Perusing through my rss feeds and stuff, I came accross an interesting article relating to microsoft IE development and the competition. In his own blog, Robert Scoble, who works for Microsoft wrote the following words in one of his latest posts concerning the currently in-process development of the next version of Internet Explorer:

"Speaking of which, Dean Hachamovitch the other day showed me prototypes of the next Internet Explorer. I got to see them before he even showed them to other executives. He told me I could say about that much (I wanted to post screen captures on my blog, but he turned down that request, bummer). I'll add in that if they ship about half of what they showed me that I'll uninstall Firefox. Of course, I'm guessing that it'll probably be a year before any of us will get any bits to look at and I'm sure that Asa, Ben and the other devs over on the Firefox team won't twiddle their fingers. It sure will be an interesting competition."

I find that what is interesting is that although other competition will probably offer features first, Microsoft will no doubt offer them later, but perhaps they will be developed better. Of course, we all know that IE will be adopted by the typical user who doesn't have browser preferences, nor knows much about IE alternatives. Therefore, no matter what Microsoft introduces, it will most likely be a success to some degree.

No comments: