Saturday, April 19, 2014

One More Day


This past Lent season has been an interesting and yet, confusing one. I have chosen to loosely give up several preoccupying activities that have dominated my free time. In their place, I have taken up commitments to reading a couple of books that I have been desiring to read for probably more than two years now. We are now approaching the end of the Lent season, and here I stand at a crossroads: what happens after today? The books are now read. I feel that I have gained greatly in the strengthening of my faith than ever before. In fact, I am so thankful for what God has shown me through these readings, that I would have not otherwise taken the time to do without dedicating it. 

It is interesting in how by choosing to "lose" something, I have actually grown. One would think that "adding more" is the only way to actually "grow bigger". In this Lenten season, it is clear that God has shown me that giving up things can actually help you to gain bigger and better things. Additionally, there is no value on earth that can be compared to an increase in faith. Adding to faith is priceless. In reflection, God has shown me blessings in my desire to dedicate time to Him over my diversions.

Here is where the hard part comes in: There is one more day of Lent, as I write this. Tomorrow, as we celebrate the resurrection of our Lord, we have the traditional "freedom" to let ourselves out of our lenten commitments. I don't know how to think on this. I have seen the real benefit of casting off these diversions, yet at the same time, I have also learned that there is a small benefit to occasionally participating in such things. More for mental/emotional escape. (Btw, these diversions are the participation in social media and video games and regular television watching).

Part of me longs for both escape and the desire to continue to grow in faith. I don't want to give up either. I long to continue my readings and focus, but at the same time, I also long to be able to allow the occasional drift into imagination and escape the everyday stresses. I have not been at all legalistic in my fasting, but I do know that the flesh is weak. Perhaps this is where the growth in faith that God has shown me over this season fits in?  We shall see. To God be the glory either way! 

No comments: