Saturday, May 02, 2009

Reader Feedback, and why I need your input.

One of the things that I appreciate most from blogging is the opportunity to get reader feedback on either my ideas, how I'm doing, how much I stink at it (okay, maybe I don't appreciate all the feedback), etc. The last post is a good case in point. One of my readers pointed out something I forgot to add concerning Aperture Priority mode. Here's the comment:

"I've really been enjoying your photography posts, great material! One sub-tip on Aperture Priority mode: this is a good option but, like you discussed in the "Shutter Speed" post, remember to keep an eye on the shutter speed. If the light's low, the camera will set the shutter speed too slow and your shots can end up blurry due to camera shake. You can combat this by adjusting your ISO to keep things in an acceptable range.
"

This is a good tip. I'll actually add to it and say that for most cameras, you don't want your shutter speed to get too slow ever without your choice in the matter. There's a general rule that says that whatever your zoom length is, your shutter speed should be similar. Here's an example:

If you are zoomed out to 55 mm on your camera, your shutter speed should be no lower than around 1/50th or 1/60th a second. Anything slower than this might introduce blur because of camera shake. There are other factors to keep in mind, such as cropped sensor cameras, etc. But I won't get into that here. However, I'd like to thank Brock Martin of Infinet Design for the great tip and reminder.

So, as you can see, I value your input. Whether it be a photography tip, a question, or just general feedback. Keep it coming, and thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Brock said...

Cool, I generated as follow-up post! :) Less-than-ideal lighting situations (low light, bright light behind the subject, etc) are the main reason I shoot in manual (M) mode. Even if people don't find manual mode useful, I would recommend playing around with it to experiment with different combinations of aperture, shutter speed and ISO. That will make it easier to know what settings will work best in different situations.