Thursday, September 08, 2005

About Apple's new Nano

For years now, I've not been able to put my finger on the strange attraction to Apple. Although I don't own a mac, and iPod, or any other device made by apple, I've been feeling this strange pull towards Apple product. I doubt I'll buy one anytime soon, but, as I was reading a blog on the new Apple iPod Nanon, I came accross a comment posted by another reader of the blog. I think that this comment accurately defines the reasoning for this strange attraction:

" I used to believe that it was simply brilliant marketing that took Apple from the verge of bankruptcy to the best brand in the world in ten short years. What I've realized is that Apple has something that Creative, Samsung, Sony, and the rest lack, and that is a true philosophical understanding of electronics, and how consumers relate to them. As members of a consumer society, we inevitably fetishize and idealize certain consumer goods. We actively pursue nice things. Consumer goods need not be thrust upon us, though they usually are. This is the marketing ritual, where a handful of masters of manipulation gather to create an image that will hopefully transcend a poorly-engineered product. Apple has tapped into a secret of the 21st-century capitalist psyche that is rooted in primal desire. Form is more important than function. It's how we often choose our lovers, food, pets, clothes, and most things that we lust for, or have an intimate bond with. This profound understanding of aesthetics has allowed Apple to think outside the box and create truly beautiful products. Although it doesn’t hurt that Apple has some of the best engineers and most creative marketing teams. Consumers will sacrifice an FM tuner, and other frills for a product that taps into the core of their desires and makes them feel like they are better now than they were before. Yeah, it’s false consciousness, but it works. While other electronics companies are still using the McDonald’s model of value to push mp3 players, Apple’s iPod has become a connoisseur’s brand, and achieved ubiquity in the mp3 player market. Not easy to juggle the two. I predict the Nano is going to sell like hotcakes, or better yet, like iPods."

No comments: