Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Yes, I've Flip-Flopped yet again

I've done it again. I've switched from Firefox to Internet Explorer. Why? Well, first off, I was noticing that leaving firefox open on my work computer for a few hours was consuming massive ammounts of RAM. Okay, maybe not "massive" but enough to make me annoyed. Also I was contemplating on the fact that I use very little of its extensions for anything. I really like it for its ability to use tabbed browsing and its pop-up blocker. However, it does have a tendency to force me over to IE when I want to view a nice website with all of the bells and whistles, which it cannot display. One of those sites is ESPN.com. I use Yahoo services extensively as well. I noticed that Yahoo mail, as well as other services offer a more seamless experience in Internet Explorer. And despite what most people say, Firefox has crashed on me quite a few times, and that's with a gig of RAM.

So I decided to enhance IE by installing the MSN toolbar, which gives me pop-up blocking and tabbed browsing as well as desktop search (Which I don't use). The switch thus far has proved to be pretty good. IE launches much faster than Firefox, and the toolbar has been doing a great job as well. Its also nice to go to a website with full confidence that I will be able to experience every feature it has available.

In other news, I followed the advice by John C. Divorak in the latest podcast of This Week in Tech, and am trying out the "Writely" online word processor. I have to say, this is pretty sweet. Right now I am composing this blog with their service. I haven't examined all of their features yet, but I will post a future evaluation of it once I'm done. Now, let's see how this "blog" option works....

No comments: