Monday, November 28, 2005

What NOT to be thankful for.

So Thanksgiving Day has come and gone, and now we're off to prepping for Christmas and the New Year. Each year as I sit down in front of a huge pile of food on the last Thursday of November, I think about how many people in the world have probably never seen this amount of food in one place in their entire life. American tradition has caused us to plop down around a huge table, say a little prayer and engage in a ritual of gluttony that should probably disgust us. There are lots of things to surely be thankful for. But in some cases, I think that we need to re-examine how we celebrate what God has given us. I'm not against eating turkey and pumpkin pie. What I am bothered by is not what we celbrate with, its how we celebrate it. Is God honored when we ritually sit down and eat until it hurts? Is he honored when we spend 3 to 5 minutes of thanksgiving prayer and then spend the next 3 hours feasting like its our last meal?

When was the last time we've heard a sermon on gluttony in this country? Do pastors preach on such a thing? Does anyone really understand what gluttony is anymore?

Not that I am in the least bit innocent of this charge. I'm certainly pulling more than my share of fat and calories each day. I just wonder if anybody else considers this issue each year?

No comments: